Bonita Springs Public Library to Open Summer 2019
- The 40-year-old Bonita Springs library is being replaced in summer 2019. The new Bonita Springs Public Library off old Old 41 Road has been under construction since March 2018. The 31,000-square-foot site occupies a full block between Reynolds and Childers streets on Felts Avenue.
A large community room will be included. A plaza and other outdoor reading spaces are also planned. Two balconies should offer space on the second floor.
The two-story building cost the county $22 million. It would be the first major complex finished since Bonita Springs’ $18 million Downtown Improvement Project was completed.
- Logan Boulevard extension progress expected
Another Lee County to Collier County roadway is in the works east of Interstate 75. Logan Boulevard is extending from Immokalee Road to Bonita Beach Road, opening a new north-south corridor for people living farther inland.
Logan Boulevard was extended 3 miles north of Immokalee Road while Lee County and Bonita Springs funding was being finalized.
Construction of the next portion is expected to begin soon. It will take about one year to construct the road.The road would include a water management system that could help mitigate any major flooding along the Imperial River.
- Apartment housing boom in Bonita
Residents will see construction around the city as apartment complexes, restaurant space and retirement communities continue to build.
Construction is ongoing at The Mosaic at Oak Creek. The complex, built on 18 acres along Dean Street and Old 41 Road, features 10 buildings, each three stories tall. The apartment complex will have 273 units. The developer broke ground in June and expects construction will take 18 months for the entire project.
- The Terry Street Assemblage is moving forward with Bonita Springs City Council approval. The five-building project is centered around the southeast corner of Terry Street and Old 41 Road. Each building would be four stories tall.
Restaurants and stores would fill the bottom floor of three buildings along major roads. The top three floors are planned residential units. Once ground is broken, construction of each building would take about a year.
- Construction of The Crest at Bonita Springs, a 264-unit apartment at the southwest corner of the Bonita Beach Road and Interstate 75 interchange, began in December. No estimated finish date for construction was available as of Friday. The complex will have six buildings, each three stories tall.
- Weeks Fish Camp boat access fight continues
Plans for a retirement community with a high-rise tower on the former Weeks Fish Camp property near Coconut Road continue to cause tension in Bonita Springs.
Developer London Bay Homes’ plan, called Bayview on Estero Bay, calls for a mixed independent- and assisted-living community. It would sit just north of the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and Spa.
London Bay Homes showed one public boat ramp with 10 trailer parking spaces and 15 car spaces in plans revealed to the public in October. Developers said off-site trailer parking might be provided with a shuttle transporting boaters to and from the site.
The project would need a zoning change and the City Council approval before construction could begin. Developers are working with city planners on the project.